SS UNION (RMCW / OHFN, LR/IMO) Valmistunut/completed 1908.2 England, Thornaby, Richardson, Duck & Co.
3835 dwt, 1150 / 1640 (since 1934) ihv, 95.90 x 12.97 x height 6.19 m.
1908.2: FERNHILL, W.J. Tillett & Co, Cardiff .1914: FERNHILL, W. J. Tillet Steamship Co Ltd., Cardiff. 1919: FERNHILL, Llewellyn Shipping Co, Cardiff. 1926: ROWANBURN, Smith, Hogg & Co Ltd, Hartlepool.
1932: UNION, homeport Helsinki. Ab Union Steamship Company Ltd (mgrs Nielsen & Thorden. Main shareholders Smith, Hogg & Co Ltd), Helsinki. British flag of convenience ship.
1936.4.3: UNION, arrived at Hartlepool for demolition, South Stocton Shibreaking Co,
1936.5.12: Northern Daily Mail:
"Tees-built ship to be broken up in yard where created:
-The 4,000 deadweight vessel "Union" will arrive in the Tees tonight on its last sea voyage. It is making its way to the South Stockton Shipbreaking Co's yard to be broken up, and it will provide one of the rare instances of a vessel meeting its doom at the same yard as that of which it was created.
The "Union" was formerly the "Fernhill", and it was built at this Stockton yard in 1908 when it was owned by Richardson, Duck and Co. Ltd. The ship was bought by the South Stockton Shipbreaking Co. from Thomas Pinkney and Sons of Sunderland". (John Knight's collection).
John Knight further investigation:
"It certainly is unusual for a ship to start and end its life in the same location, and this prompted me to check the voracity of the article, having always seen Hartlepool mentioned as where she was broken up. From checking shipping reports in the press they confirm she arrived Hartlepool in ballast on 3rd April and entered one of William Gray's drydocks. On 13/14th April she was undocked and is recorded as berthed in Swainson Dock, Hartlepool. A month later she departed Hartlepool for the last time, moving lightship from Hartlepool to the River Tees on 13th May. The distance berth to berth would be less than 40 kms, the South Stockton yard being at the upper end of the Tees navigation. She continues to be recorded as lying at "South Dock" on the Tees, the last entry being 22nd July, at which point one would assume demolition was complete there being no further report of a movement."